The 4th of July is a very special day for our country and that is especially true in Texas. Known for our “bigger is better ” mentality, we have never shied away from lighting up our city skies with near-blinding firework displays and music festivals galore. More to the heart, however, are the many community gatherings and parades in neighborhoods; large and small all to share our patriotic spirit.
Texas is a state of such diversity of culture and terrain, there is no way to capture all of its unique offerings in a single post. Independence Day 2018 lands smack in the middle of the week and we are looking at the middle of the state. While it is difficult to create a long weekend with a Wednesday holiday, a full week of celebrations is happening depending on your community.
There are too many events to possibly list all the 4th of July celebrations, but we have given it a good start below. If you know of others, feel free to share them in the comments.
We wish you all a wonderful Independence Week.
Austin Area Events
Austin is known for keeping it weird and the 4th of July is no exception. From Ninjas to Blue Owls, our capital city brings its own flavor to the holiday fun.
- An Austin staple, the Alamo Drafthouse is putting its own spin on Americana, a Ninja one with Ninjapendence!
Hot dogs. Apple pie. Fireworks. Bruce Springsteen. Ninjas. This July 2nd, the Alamo Drafthouse Ritz invites you back for another celebration of your favorite holiday: NINJAPENDENCE DAY! What could possibly be more American than an action-packed, katana-wielding, red, white and blue Ninja double feature?
- For the grown-ups, the Draught House will be extending the celebration with a Third of July party.
- Feeling hungry? We mean REALLY hungry. On the 4th, you have a choice of a Pickled-Egg Eating Contest or a Corndog Eating Contest. How’s that for local flavor?
- In downtown Austin, HEB will be hosting the Symphony for a night of music and mile-high fireworks on the grassy patch of Vic Mathias Shores.
- For Austinites, there may not be anything more eight on the 4th than a little Willie on the radio. Well, how about live in person? Out at the Circuit of Americas, Willie Nelson’s 4th of July Picnic will offer a day of music with a line-up including The Head and the Heart, Sturgill Simpson, Ryan Bingham, Edie Brickell & New Bohemians, Jamestown Revival, Margo Price, and Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real. It should be a day of great music and fun.
- Bastrop will honor the Stars & Stripes this weekend (June 29-30) in Fisherman’s Park at the Patriotic Festival.
- They’ll be a Fire in the Sky in Dripping Springs on the night of the 4th.
- You can start and end your Independence Day with the Red, White, & Buda July 4th Celebration. With a morning parade and a night of fireworks, you can enjoy a full day of patriotic fun.
- Pflugerville has always had its own special way to spell pfun and that’s no different with the Pfirework Pfestival. We wish them a very happy Pfourth of July!
- Round Rock’s Frontier Days Celebration is a full day of family fun on July 4th.
San Antonio Area Events
San Antonio always brings its own colorful flair to any celebration. From fiestas to jubilees, this Texas town is not to be out-done in its patriotic partying.
- Starting the party off right, The Roundup will offer a free Independence Celebration concert on Saturday, June 30th. There will be live music and fireworks, as well as food trucks, and a playground for the kids.
- Now, for any self-respecting Texan, there is no better place to celebrate independence than the Alamo. There will be events all day July 4th starting at 9:00 am. Remember the Alamo!
- San Antonio’s second-most famous landmark has to be the Riverwalk. Never to be left out of the party, the Bud Light Stars, Stripes & Lights will run from Friday night, June 29 – July 4th.
- The Botanical Garden will host a fireworks display at dusk. Tickets must be purchased in advance.
- Truly in the patriotic spirit, you can enjoy great beer and company while supporting the Pat Tillman Foundation with Drink the Flag at the Rustic.
- SeaWorld San Antonio will be offering special-priced tickets for Independence Day, as well as a fireworks spectacular the night of the 4th.
- Continuing with roller coasters, Fiesta Texas will host a five-day celebration of the 4th. Beginning June 30, the Coca-Cola July 4th Fest will be in full swing.
- Schertz will begin its annual 4th of July Jubilee with a parade and host all day fun through an evening of fireworks
- In the town of Helotes, a Super patriotic celebration will be hosted on July 3rd. An evening of American family fun is assured with apple pie a la mode, moonwalks, and fireworks.
- Finally, you can take comfort that the patriotic spirit extends to all the suburbs and small towns in the Hill Country. Comfort, Texas (Yes, that is its name. Cool, right?) will be hosting their celebration on Wednesday, the 4th.
- Fredericksburg is not to be forgotten as we move out towards the Hill Country. They will be celebrating all day starting with an 8:30 parade.
For more San Antonio area events, be sure to check out Visit San Antonio.
Happy Independence Week!