The 4th of July is a very special day for our country and that is especially true in Texas. Known for our “bigger is better ” mentality, we have never shied away from lighting up our city skies with fireworks and lining our streets with proudly waving stars and stripes. More to the heart, however, are the many community gatherings and parades in neighborhoods; large and small all to share our patriotic spirit.
Texas is a state of such diversity of culture and terrain, there is no way to capture all of its unique offerings in a single post. With a middle of the week holiday, long weekend celebrations are harder. Why not just take the whole week at one of these coastal destinations? Fireworks reflected in the Gulf are some of the loveliest displays of rockets red glare that you will ever see.
There are too many events to possibly list all the 4th of July celebrations, but we have done our best to share a glimpse at the fun to be had. If you know of others, feel free to share them in the comments.
We wish you all a wonderful Independence Week.
Corpus Christi Area Events
- Start your week with a bang! Starting the 28th, the Big Bang Celebration will run through the 4th with a full schedule of daily events, including music, museum events, kids’ crafts, and of course, fireworks.
- Schlitterbahn will host the 2nd Annual Red, White & Blues Festival & Fireworks Viewing Party – enjoy the blue water and the Blues on the stage as you celebrate the stars & stripes.
- Need a little more firepower to your evening? The CC Museum of Science & History will be hosting the Red, White & Kaboom party. A mini carnival with food trucks, a watermelon eating contest, and slime crafts for the kiddos will fill the evening with family fun followed by exclusive seating for the HEB Fireworks Show.
- If you are a little further south, there will be Fourth of July Boat Parade and Fireworks show on North Padre Island.
- Port Aransas will hold the Fireworks Celebration at 9:00 pm over Roberts Point Park.
South Padre Island & Brownsville Area Events
- What would South Padre be without a beach party? The night of the 3rd, Clayton’s Beach Bar will host the biggest beach party on the island – 4th of July Stars & Stripes Beach Party. Because again, bigger is always better in Texas and especially when it comes to a party.
- Fireworks over the bay is a regular occurrence in South Padre but it is taken to the next level on Independence Day. Whether you motor out onto the water or you lay out a blanket on the beach, this show is not to be missed from any angle on the island.
Rio Grande Valley Events
- Saturday night the 30th will ring in the freedom in La Feria. Food and fun before fireworks along with reserved seating for veterans is promised.
- Brownsville will honor the day with the 19th Annual Salute to Freedom. Live music and family-friendly activities will culminate in the “most spectacular fireworks show in the Rio Grande Valley!” A special salute to attending veterans will offer free food & refreshment, as well as a tribute firework display. Tailgaters can arrive early for extra fun.
- McAllen’s 90th Annual Independence Day Celebration will be an all-day event on the 4th.
- Weslaco will celebrate the evening of the 4th with a fireworks celebration.
- Harlingen Freedom Fest offers a beer garden and lots of family fun the night of July 3rd.
A great resource for all things valley is Valley Central.
Happy July 4th!