Staycation At Gaylord Texan Resort
With gas prices rising every day, I’m not sure who all is gearing up for a long road trip this summer. How about a staycation? Find a hotel, resort, cabins, etc., you love that you live close to, and check it out. My son and I just got home from Grapevine, where we had the best staycation at Gaylord Texan Resort. We live less than 30 minutes from the resort. The resort is a short drive from the Dallas / Fort Worth area and sits on the shores of Lake Grapevine. It’s a hop, skip, and jump from the Dallas Fort Worth International Airport.
I have a thing about Gaylord Texan. They have provided my family with entertainment for over 14 or 15 years. Both during Christmas and Summer events. As a blogger, I have partnered with them for at least 12 of those years. I even worked there one year during the Gaylord Texan ICE! event. Nonetheless, I highly respect this company and truly think it’s a great place to bring the whole family.
For Disclosure: I won this 2-night trip for selling the most tickets (over 500) during the 2021 Gaylord Texan Holiday Influencer Competition for its Lone Star Christmas Event. But still, a staycation at Gaylord Texan Resort is well worth it, and we saw lots of families partaking in all the things the resort offers. Below, I’ll fill you in on it.
Related: Fun-Packed Weekend In Plano, TX
Gaylord Texan Resort
The Gaylord Texan Resort is now part of the Marriott International family. If you are a traveler who only likes to stay at Marriott properties, you’re in luck here. Have a fun staycation and grab those points too! I love that they are part of Marriott. I’ve used Marriott for years for hotel stays and am now a gold member. There are perks with that!
Don’t forget to check the resort’s events and fun seasonal events. I’ve seen a baby sloth, and it was the cutest thing.
Related: Texas Pet-Friendly Hotels
Tips For A Staycation At Gaylord Texan Resort
Know what else? The Gaylord Texan is a wonderful place to bring your grandkids. Grandparents, listen up: I highly suggest bringing your grandkids here for summer fun. Here are a few recommendations to save money, time, and trouble.
- The food they serve will practically feed two.
- Bring snacks with you for the room.
- Even though the kids might think they are too old to order on the kid’s menu, make them. My grandson is 12 years old and can still order from the kid’s menu, and when he doesn’t, he never finishes his meal. So I make him.
- Order water. Water is good for everyone.
- You don’t need to bring your own towels for the swimming pools or for the outdoor waterpark – Paradise Springs Water Park – they are supplied.
- Have the kids wear water shoes to Paradise Springs because the cement is really hot. They don’t have to take them off when going down the waterslides. I don’t recommend flip-flops – they could get lost.
- Breakfast ends at 11 am.
- If you want to dine at the Old Hickory Steakhouse, it’s casual business attire. They call it “smart business”, but not sure what that means. And it opens at 5 pm for cocktails and 6 pm for dinner.
- The Market Place will take your room number as payment.
- Use your elbow or knuckle to push the elevator buttons for sanitary reasons. This is my forever way to ride an elevator from now on. I taught my grandson this too.
- A 2-room Executive Suite with a sofa bed is so worth it. You’ll have your bedroom room with a king bed and a TV, the kids can sleep on the sofa and have a TV. Plus, a coffee maker. and 6 wrist bands for Paradise Springs.
- You can park in the parking lot for free if you reserve a private cabana. But, a shuttle takes people there every 15 minutes from the resort.
Gaylord Texan Resort Amenities
The amenities are part of a staycation or vacation. The Gaylord Texan has plenty. Here are a few.
- Indoor Pool – for those winter stays
- Outdoor pool
- Paradise Springs Water Park
- Relâche spa – for those times you want self-care. Whether you opt for a facial or massage or both, you can also enjoy everything the spa has, like the steam room,
- 24-hour Fitness Center
- When you book an Executive Suite, you receive 6 wrist bands for Paradise Springs.
- Guest Rooms with a central atrium view. The lights are beautiful at night.
Restaurants At The Gaylord Texan Resort
From hamburgers to Tex Mex to steak, you have great dining options for the family.
Texan Station Sports Bar
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The hamburgers are huge, and the apple pie serves two.
Great frozen margaritas and the chips and salsa will fill you up, so be careful!
Zeppole Coastal Italian
Italian food at its best.
Old Hickory Steakhouse
To be honest, I’ve never eaten here as often as I’ve been to the Gaylord.
Mission Plaza Marketplace
Not a restaurant, but a place where you can grab snacks, the best coffee ever, ice cream, drinks, and anything else you probably forgot to bring from home. For a late-night snack, grab a couple of those huge chocolate chip cookies.
If you can get away for a late-night drink, check out Glass Cactus Nightclub with live music and free parking. It’s located on the premises and within walking distance from the hotel, or you can drive.
24-Hour Room Service
We ordered room service on our last night there, and I now recommend the two chocolate cookies with two chocolate milk. We shared one cookie and took the other home—both are huge!
If a staycation at Gaylord Texan Resort is what you are looking for this summer, check it out at Gaylord Texan Resort.
Gaylord Texan ICE! 2022
Get ready because ICE! is returning to Gaylord Texan starting November 11, 2022. Make plans now for the holiday season